Saturday, April 3, 2010

2nd inning

Cubs 2nd:

Good catch in left retires Rami.

Byrd up, he pops out to first.

Soriano now up, coming off a good game against the Rockies. Naturally, after I speak highly of him, he strikes out.

D'Backs 2nd:

Wells is one of those rare young pitchers who understands exactly how to pitch. He knows he doesn't have the 97 mph fastball to blow people away, so he pitches to contact, keeps the ball down, and gets people out. He doesn't over-think things, he just locates and changes speed very, very well for a young pitcher. I was very impressed with him last year and I hope this year is more of the same.

Wells gets a groundout to first, and then gives up a loopy double over Ramirez at third. Young now up, and he flies out to Byrd in center. Two down.

Johnson, former Brave, now up. I really think if the Cubs wanted to get Big Z to calm down, they just start slipping him some Xanax in his morning coffee. I must admit, though, I like the mean Z - if he would channel his mean streak towards the batters instead of the umpires, I think things would get better for him. Not to be a headhunter, but just to be mean and effective - think Randy Johnson or Clemens, minus the bird-killings or the steroids. Johnson walks.

First and second, two down. Great changeup by Wells, Snyder down on strikes.

No comments:

Post a Comment